Thursday, September 11, 2008

seven years ago


i was sleeping soundly in my dorm room at kerr hall when my telephone rang. it was my mom. she sounded frantic. beyond frantic. she told me to turn on the television, and i did. i don't think i understood what i saw or any of the words that came after that. there was only confusion, and fear. there were tears - the only form of expression i could find. this doesn't happen here. how can this be happening? how can this be real? the events played out on an endless loop for days on television. the world stopped. the world changed completely, and forever.

to this day i do not understand. i never will.

i can only be thankful - thankful for my life. for my freedom. for the fact that i was born an american citizen. for the fact that i was not in new york city on september 11, 2001, and neither were any of my friends or family.

and i can pray - pray for the people who have lost their lives, and for the loved ones they left behind. for those who have no freedom. for those who must live lives of fear, and anger, and blind hatred. for those who risk their lives for my freedom. for those who believe in and fight for what is right.

i can remember. i will never forget.


No comments: